Thursday, May 01, 2008

Day 38 & 39: Calauag-Daet-Naga






Ed and I left Calauag at 5:15 yesterday morning. The road to Daet was like a roller coaster - a series of slow uphill climbs followed by rapid downhill descent. As we neared Daet, there were more ascents. We were caught by the rain twice. I didn't bother to wear my Northface jacket. I loved the rain on my face and my wet jersey kept me cool. I continued to pray the mysteries of the rosary during the entire ride. We reached Daet by 2 pm after biking for 119 km. We were accomodated at the bishop's residence. I concelebrated at the 5:30 pm mass at the cathedral chapel and we had supper with the Bishop Garcera and several priests. I went to bed early. I kept coughing and blowing my nose during the night. My cough and cold have been bothering me the last three days.

We were on the road by 5:20 this morning. While there were still some steep uphill climbs, there were more downhill riding. We passed the famed "bituka nga manok" road - it is a road that looks like a chicken's entrails from above. At 9 am, we stopped in Sipocot. After 20 minutes of rest stop and brunch, we continued biking. Ed was suffering from stomach cramps for 30 minutes and we had to slow down. At 12 noon, when we reached the checkpoint near the welcome arch of Naga, the ABS-CBN vehicle and TV crew were waiting for us. After interviewing me, they guided us to the cathedral where we were welcomed by the parochial vicar, Fr. Rex.

After lunch and some rest, Ed and I proceeded to a bike shop to have our bikes checked. The front disk break has not been working.

I celebrated the Eucharist at 5:30 pm.

After a half-day of biking, I feel fine. The cough and cold seem to be gone.

So far, I have covered 3,620 km. Tomorrow will be a very long day - Naga to Sorsogon.

No comments: