Saturday, April 11, 2009

Black Saturday - Exercising while Fasting

Today is the sixth day of my fast. I woke up feeling refreshed. After doing taichi, I went biking for two hours and thirty-eight minutes up and down the steep hills of Magtuod and Langub. I found it amazing that inspite of the fact that I have not eaten anything for the last six days, I felt energized. I didn't feel tired, hungry or weak.

How is this possible? It is not because I am superhuman. I believe that the human body is capable of surviving without food for a long period of time. This is what our ancestors did hundreds of thousand years ago when they didn't have the luxury of eating three meals a day - they had to hunt for food and it could take days before they could catch one. Jesus himself was capable of fasting for 40 days.

So six days of fasting is no big deal. I am used to it. For the last forty days I have survived on one meal a day on weekdays and no food on Tuesdays and Fridays. I intend to continue this practice after the Holy Week.

No comments: