Sunday, May 10, 2009

Living Close to Nature: the Woods behind my Hermitage







In front of house that I call my hermitage, I have a panoramic view of the city of Cebu down below. But I don't miss the "concrete jungle" in the city. What fascinates me is what is behind the hermitage - a patch of the remaining forest in the mountain of Busay. This is where I go often to walk or run. There is no one here but me and the birds. It reminds of me of the forest in Mount Apo.

This is what I love about living here in Busay. I live close to nature. I feel so much at home here. It puts me in touch with the "wildman" in me. At the same time it makes me more aware of the presence of God. In fact it is easier for me to feel a sense of the sacred here rather than inside a chapel or a cathedral.
Being a hermit and living close to nature is not my full-time vocation - it is only part of the rhythm of my life, a time of solitude, silence and contemplation amidst a life of action. I will have to go down eventually and continue my mission and ministry. But I will keep on coming back.
This reminds of me Robert Frost's words:
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
but promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep"



No comments: