Wednesday, October 07, 2009

55 years: Age is Just a number














Yesterday was my 55th birthday. I ran for two hours in the morning. During breakfast, Judge Renato Fuentes was looking for me (he thought I was going to say mass in the morning) but I was still out so he just left my birthday gift.
.
After lunch, I went to the LTO office to renew my driver's licence, it took 3 hours to get the whole thing done. I then rushed to the Archbishop's residence to attend the final meeting in preparation for the AsiPA (BEC) international gathering. I didn't stay very long because I had to go home to hear confession and celebrate the 5:30 pm mass. Then in the evening, the "centennial group" composed of community friends came bringing food for the potluck birthday party.
.
How does it feel to be 55 years old? Well, I don't feel that old. I can still run for more than two hours. Thirty-three years ago, I was a chubby, chain-smoking seminarian who could not even run for 30 minutes. I stopped smoking, started running and losing weight 30 years ago and I continue to do so now. There are many things I can do at my age which I wasn't capable of doing when I was half my age: biking ultra-long distance around the country, scuba diving, run marathons, lift heavy weights in the gym and eat once day only. I intend to do these things even when I reach 65 or even beyond 70 - God willing. It is inactivity, over-eating and lack of exercisethat can weaken the body.
.
Even if the body eventually grows old, the mind and heart does not grow old. Yes, we gain wisdom but retain the youthful feeling.

No comments: