Monday, March 14, 2011

Assisting in the Formation of Basic Ecclesial Communities: Working with the CBCP-BEC Committee

Archdiocesan BEC Assembly, Lipa






CBCP building/ BEC office on the 3rd floor




Last Friday I was in Manila for a meeting with Bishop George Rimando - the Chairman of the Committee on Basic Ecclesial Communities of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP-BEC Committee). He confirmed my appointment as the new executive secretary of the committee. I will be starting in June after my Run/Walk Pilgrimage Across the Philippines.

The following day, I went to Lipa to attend the archdiocesan BEC assembly. Over one thousand participants attended and the gathering started with a Mass presided by Archbishop Ramon Arguelles. I gave the keynote talk on the BECs as Expression of the PCP II Vision of A Renewed Church.

This morning I went to the office of the CBCP-BEC committee in Intramuros and met the outgoing executive secretary - Monsignor Elmer Abacahin. After four years of service he has been recalled by his archbishop and given a new assignment. So this was a sort of turn-over. So for the next four years, this office will be my base of operation. I will be residing at the Redemptorist Monastery in Baclaran.
When I report to my new assignment, I won't be taking the plane. I will run/walk all the way from Davao to Aparri covering over 2,000 km and then take the bus back to Manila. The first two days of my work in June will be a strategic planning with Bishop George and the BEC consultants.

No comments: