Thursday, April 07, 2011

Day 7: Solo Run-Walk Across d Philippines

I was awake at 3:00 am before my alarm sounded which I set at 3:30 am. By 4:15 am, I was on the road with my headlamp showing me the way. I walked very slowly listening to soft religious music as I prayed & meditated on my feet and witnessed the sun gradually rise on the horizon. This is rhythm I am following most morning during this journey.

I had decided that today I would do less running and more easy & slow walking. I disabled the GPS function of my Timex watch so that I don't have to monitor my pace and distance.

I strictly followed a 5 minutes break every hour to give my feet a rest & to cool off. But in spite of this my feet became more painful due to the blisters in both feet. Walking and running became very agonizing. I focused my mind in praying the rosary and meditating on the joyful, light, sorrowful & glorious mysteries.

The pain would dissapear and I would run the downhill portions but it would later come back forcing me to walk very slowly again.

Once again I experienced the kindness of a stranger when a car suddenly stopped beside me and the owner came out and gave me a bottle of cold water and some money. Twice I was invited by some group of friends who were having a drinking spree to have 'one for the road' but I just smiled & continued walking. Another car stopped and I thought the occupants would give me something but they just wanted to have their picture taken with me!

As I reached the PNP checkpoint near Butuan, the policemen asked me what I was doing and after explaining my advocacy, we had picture taking.

I reached Butuan at 4:15 pm after covering 43 km. I proceeded to the cathedral rectory and was given a room. During dinner I was welcomed by the rector - Msgr. Rowell.

So after 7 days I have covered 295 km. Tomorrow is rest day. I hope I can recover quickly so that I can continue my journey towards Surigao this Saturday.




No comments: