Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 43: Run/Walk Across d Philippines

Early this morning, I felt a slight pain in my big toe and shin so I decided to walk very slowly and leisurely. My priority is to prevent injury - especially shin splint or tendinitis. (This is what I experienced during my pilgrimage in the Camino de Santiago which was miraculously healed).
Along the way I saw slogans painted in red from the NPA (New People's Army). I was passing an area where the communist guerrillas first spread and where they continue to operate.
I reached Hacienda Luisita at 8 am and stopped by Starbucks for cappuccino. After 30 minutes I was back on road. Upon reaching Tarlac City, a group of young people and some members of the Couples for Christ mobilized by Fr. Melvin Castro (executive secretary of the CBCP-family & life commission) welcomed me and walked with me to the Cathedral. They were wearing shirts and caps with anti-RH bill signs. They were glad to hear that one of my advocacies was against the RH bill.

After an hour's rest, I was back on the road alone again by 11:30. I had to bear the heat, hoding an umbrella with my left hand and fingering the rosary beads with my right. I reached Paniqui at 5:30 after covering 40 km. The parish priest, Fr. Fred Dizon, welcomed me and gave me accomodation.

Total distance covered so far: 1570 km.

No comments: