Thursday, August 29, 2013

Confronting a Corrupt Political System: March Against Pork Barrel




Last Monday, August 26, I ran from Baclaran to Luneta to join the March Against Pork Barrel. There were over a hundred thousand people who joined the rally organized by netizens on the social media. I met some of the ultrarunners, led by Retired General Jovie Narcise (aka Bald Runner) who ran to Luneta. I later joined the group from Baclaran Church who walked part of the way.

It's been a long time since I joined a protest march and rally. I thought I have retired from this but I got angry due to the latest expose of  pork barrel scam which involved Janet Napoles and some senators and congressmen. Like many ordinary citizens I was appalled at the extent of corruption engendered by the pork barrel system which perpetuates the patronage politics. I join the cry of Filipinos from all over the country: Abolish Pork Barrel! Hold those involved in the scam accountable.

No comments: